Perth Yarn - a review

March 2021

It's been a long time since I knit a pair of socks, so I pulled a ball of the Perth yarn, ordered in January, from my stash. I have never knit with this yarn before, so the socks are somewhat of an experiment.  This sock yarn is more of a fine (light) fingering weight than most of the sock yarn that I have in my stash. The strand is often plied with two colors which creates the gradual color changes. I love the dark rose and gold, but the orange and forest green don't really appeal to me in this ball of yarn. I doubt the socks will be a matching pair, but that doesn't usually matter that much to me. 

This color way is Great Barrier Reef #122

The yarn knits well and creates a nice fabric with only a bit of splitting. Since it contains 80% Superwash wool and 20% nylon, the socks should wash and wear well. The price was very reasonable ($13.50) for a 100 gram ball - 437 yards. I hope the yarn does not pill or bloom after washing, as that is the ultimate test of an exception sock yarn, in my opinion. 

Comments

  1. Your sock is looking great. I like the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, I hope they wash well, they look like Fall socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely. But if the colors don’t appeal . . . You’ve peeked my curiosity. What happens when a yarn blooms? I know pills — I hate acrylic sweaters because of it. But blooms? No clue. Happy knitting (or quilting) this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty colors and you are the sock expert for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of that yarn! The effect is like the Kroy FX - which I love. I find the Kroy to be a bit stiff and heavy though - I may have to try some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very pretty yarn. I like all of the colors but have never heard of the yarn before.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a pretty gradient!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really good price for sock yarn. The colors flow really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of that brand. I do like how it looks and as you said, should WEAR well. Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the way this looks too. And, like everyone else, I've never heard of this yarn. Like Bonny, I want to know what you mean by Bloom. Great price!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the color shift--nice to know how the yarn knits. And let us know how they stand the test of time! Looks like a good knit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.