Preparing for the Storm

preparing for a power outage
March 2021

Early last week, meteorologists predicted a massive snowstorm would hit the area over the weekend. They warned it would be slow moving and would have the potential to become a historic storm with accumulations measured in feet, not inches. 

Blizzard warnings were issued in conjunction with this storm, so I began to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

I have a stocked pantry, so I did not need to shop for provisions. I got the oil lanterns out of storage, found candles and flashlights and batteries in the closet, and retrieved a portable propane heater from the garage.

Snow began on Saturday evening and continued through Sunday. The wind howled all night, and all day on Sunday. It's impossible to determine how much snow fell because of drifting, but unofficial reports on Sunday afternoon, stated Laramie had received 18-20", and it is still snowing as I write this.

Thankfully, the electricity stayed on and I didn’t need to use the candles, lanterns and heater.


While heavy, wet snow is pretty typical for this time of year, this storm packed a wallop for nearly the whole state, and today everyone will be digging out. 


Comments

  1. Glad you are safe and with power. My brother in Boulder said the storm there was slow to start, but picked up and intensified overnight on Saturday into Sunday. Last I heard they had gotten a couple of feet, but it was still snowing...Spring storms can be powerful. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were prepared and weathered the storm well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you still have heat and power. Our snow has quit falling and the wind isn't howling like yesterday. We only got about 6" but it rained all day before so I'm sure there is plenty of ice under it. Most of the schools in SD are closed this morning too. The top of the birch tree outside my office window is broken under the weight, and the tree was leaning badly. Now that Dave has knocked off some of the snow it's not leaning as much but I'm afraid it may not survive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We lucked out. Maybe 3" but when I got up and looked out Sunday morning shortly after dawn, it was melting. By late afternoon you wouldn't know we got anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness.....that's just cruel at this time of year. It got cold here again and they are calling for a potential winter mix tomorrow and I am not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any snow storm is manageable as long as you have electricity! My daughter lives in Denver, so she is enjoying that same storm. At least the snow will melt. fairly quickly. And I heard on NPR that the region needed the moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you were able to weather the storm! I told Dave we need one of those oil lanterns. My Mom has one and they are fantastic when the power goes out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind of propane heater...I always worry about venting for them and Carbon Monoxide. Sounds like you fared well, better to be prepared than searching for everything when the power goes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the update. I hope it had quit snowing by now! And let’s hope the electricity stays on. Can you get out of your front door?

      Delete
  9. My goodness, that must have been a worry. So pleased you didn't lose power. Good to have the candles, torch and heater on hand, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw that Estes Park was forecast to get 92 inches! I couldn't believe it. I'm glad you're doing okay. We have two oil lamps exactly like the one on the left in your photo. They were wedding presents almost 43 years ago! We have them here in our RV with us. We have used them through all sorts of storms and power outages and have been so grateful. We also have a third one that's just a bit larger.
    Our weekend weather was lovely. Blue skies and temps in the 60's. Crazy isn't it?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We got 29.6"! My old body is sore this morning from digging and shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this post!!!? I am glad you kept your power--that is a rough complication of a snowstorm! Nice to be home and look out the window to watch it! Glad you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy that the electricity stayed on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you are okay. That is too.much.SNOW! LOL Hopefully, a spring melt will come slowly so that you don't have to deal with flooding too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.