Puzzling Time

challenging metallic puzzle
December 2020

One of my friends called on Saturday afternoon and mentioned she had a puzzle that she was unable to assemble and asked if I wanted to try. She brought it over on Sunday morning. 

I have never worked on a metallic puzzle before, and it was indeed a challenge. I could only work on it in natural daylight because of the reflective pieces. It was difficult to see much without getting right up next to the pieces. 

After assembling the border, I found an area that was distinct (the teal section in front of the elephant) and then the elephant outline. From there, I focused on the rest of the elephant which you can see by the unused pieces is mostly pink. 

This puzzle provided me with a challenge even though it is only 500 pieces. 


I discovered it was easier to work with natural light coming at an angle rather than overhead lighting that caused the pieces to shine and reflect the light.  It's a beautiful and unusual puzzle - one that I would never have purchased. I slipped some poster board under the puzzle and carried it to my friend's apartment, knowing that she would be thrilled to see it assembled. 


Comments

  1. I've never heard of this type of puzzle. It sure is pretty, but I'm betting it would make my eyes water! Fletch and I enjoy putting puzzles together - mostly in the winter - we now have to wait until the tree is out of the house (our space is very limited).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty puzzle! It is fun to pass along puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous puzzle but I can just imagine the reflective surface would have added to the challenge. I currently have a puzzle on my coffee table that I started 2 weeks ago and haven't had much success yet. It has really small pieces plus too much area with similar colors. And like you I find it easier to work on it in daylight,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a metallic puzzle. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I liked hearing your plan of attack for doing the puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! That is a real beauty. I can't believe you got it done so fast. I bet your friend was surprised. My sister and I have been mailing puzzles back and forth during the pandemic. When I look back over this time in the far future I will remember my puzzles with the fondest memories. The rest of it sure stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful puzzle. You had great perseverance to stick with it. It was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful puzzle. I have never been a big puzzle-putter-togetherer. Nita and Lori both love them and share back and forth. Lori was just telling me yesterday that it's hard to get good ones right now because so many people are doing them since they're at home.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't you clever, I'm no good with jig saw puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is very pretty! I love puzzles but have taken to doing them online but I will get one out soon and put it on my desk to work on over Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOw excited she will be to see it finished . Ive never heard of a magnetic puzzle Nancy! The teacher, she teaches. and teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW that is amazing!!! I can't imagine how hard it was to put that together but it is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a neat puzzle...I, too, have never heard of a metallic puzzle. Your strategy was a great success. I haven't done a puzzle lately -- or at least not a hands on puzzle. I tend to do them on line when I have time. On the other hand, the ones I do the most only have 67 pieces or so. I should probably find a spot to put a table up and actually work on the 1 puzzle I still have at home. I've never made it so that would be good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.