Open Range

photo taken by Chuck Hofrock
Wagon Hound Road

If you've never travelled in the West, you probably do not see any humor in the photo. "Open Range" is an area where cattle and sometimes horses are free to roam the rangeland, regardless of land ownership. The areas are usually marked with signs, to caution drivers to watch for animals on the road. 

When someone placed an old range under this sign in Converse County, the sign takes on a more literal meaning of the phrase "open range." 

While the photo is funny, it is illegal to dispose of old appliances in places like this. 


Comments

  1. That is very funny, but too bad someone dumped an old appliance. I remember Colin telling me that one day he participated in a stream clean-up behind his office building and they pulled a stove and a frig out of the stream! As well as furniture...People are ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. That is hilarious! I would make the exception for this "artful arrangement".

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny, but hopefully someone removed the old appliance right after the photo. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is funny. "Open Range" is very familiar to me but my limited imagination probably would never have thought of this.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great chortle on a cold afternoon. But, hopefully he who placed it will be back to pick it up. But I'm sure glad someone grab a photo of it to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny! We drove through Texas once and I never saw so much flat land in all my life. I don't know if it was considered Open Range but it took a long time for our eyes to adjust to seeing such distances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnies choice of words ..chortle...love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed the joke....I do like dry humor!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.