Working with a "Windfall"

186 bonus "waste" HSTs will result in nearly 47 pinwheels
October 2019
Recently, I rearranged some bins in my sewing room and discovered the bonus/waste half square triangles from three QOV (American Wildlife, Buck Fever, and Oh, Deer) that I made in February. I considered using the HSTs for star points but decided to turn them into pinwheels. I don't have a plan for using the pinwheels, but I'm sure I'll get an idea once they are sewn and squared.

I remember picking up windfall apples in the orchard this time of year. Most often the fruit had bruises and some worm holes, but my Mom turned the fruit into delicious apple butter, apple sauce, and apple cakes. Just because something is damaged or considered "waste" by some people does not mean that it can't be useful.

Have you used any "windfalls" lately?

Comments

  1. I have a house full of windfalls! lol
    What a beautiful thing HST's can do!
    Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I haven't.

    But, it looks like you are putting YOUR windfall to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never heard the word "windfall" but I like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah for a windfall You will put them to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have a few pinwheels made from triangle trimmings too, but just a few. These were left over from some of the patriotic star blocks I was making. And I guess my whole cat and flower quilt is being made from scraps, so that could have been wasted otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mostly I consider the little 6-10 yard amounts of yarn left after making mittens, windfalls of a sort. I've been using those to make stripes in the mittens to add a little interest to an otherwise sort of boring solid color mitten. I almost always use Loops & Threads Impeccable for the mittens and I can get 3 pair plus that little windfall amount from one skein.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be a nice collection of pinwheels!

    I save my left over yarn from socks, etc. Haven't used it yet, but I'm hoarding it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I have a windfall of pockets from uniforms that I am using today! WE waste entirely too too much as a society!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pin wheels in a quilt. The scrappier the better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I give the wormy or brown spot apples to the horses or to our local goats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well yes I sometimes use leftover pieces but I don't often have reasonable size triangles that I cut off from making other triangles. I do have scraps that I cut into usable sizes and hope to be able to use. And, sometimes I actually use them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.