Knitting's Dark Side

another scrap Sockhead Cowl
October 2019
The body of this cowl used scraps from four different sock yarns, and I'm thrilled those small balls of wool are out of my stash. Soon, I will have five cowls to donate just as the weather is starting to become cold. The black, ribbed sections literally made me want to give up and throw the whole project into the trash. I frogged more rows and stitches on this cowl than I have on all the other knitting projects I've made this year.  Dark yarns are just too difficult for me to comfortably see and knit, even a simple 2 x 2 rib.

Does anyone want two skeins of Cascade Yarns,  Heritage 150 Sock Yarn (both are color # 5601 but different dye lots) 75% super wash merino and 25% nylon?

If so, tell me in the comments.

I'll gladly send the two skeins of yarn as a gift to that brave soul.


Comments

  1. You are so creative with your scraps and they will be greatly appreciated in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great pattern! And a lovely donation. If no one else wants the yarn, I'll take it - would love it for heels, toes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about black, navy, or dark brown fabric and thread. And I finally understand why my grandmother always said "don't buy black" when buying yarn for her to knit. Even with the improvements after my cataract surgery, those dark colors are still difficult to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need super lighting to use black-we sympathize with you!
    Hang in there-it will be a stunning cowl when you are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right with you. I can't knit or stitch dark colors unless I am in bright sunlight. I can't wait for the leaves to fall so we get more light in here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will make something and donate it with the yarn. I will even send you stamps for the postage. Thanks for the generous offer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate knitting with black. So hard to see where the stitches are when you have to pick up a heel flap or graft a toe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only work with dark yarns in the daylight with the light on and light coming over my shoulder from the window...old age I guess:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a difficult time with black or navy yarn. I love that you're going to donate the cowls. How generous of you Nancy.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, black is often a problem for my aging eyes. On the other hand I have a huge cone of black thread that will never be used up -- I feel your pain! But what a great job you've done using up your small balls of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a generous soul, Nancy! I agree, black is tough to work with. I've found that light knitting needles help a little bit with the darker yarns along with lots of light. But it's sure not my preference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.