Higher Ground Fair

llamas
Laramie, WY
September 22, 2018
I spent several hours on Saturday at the Higher Ground Fair. One of the barns was converted into a "concert hall" with various performers taking the stage surrounded by spectators sitting on hay bales. I watched some Native American dancing for a bit before I wandered over to the llama show.
The judge evaluates a llama and its handler.
The llama show was interesting. The handlers had to lead their animals through various obstacles they might encounter as therapy animals. The van in the background was the first test: only a couple of the llamas actually entered van. Other tests were walking up and down stairs, walking across a spongy mattress, allowing a stranger to approach for petting, backing up, walking through a hanging curtain, and passing completely through a hoop. A couple of the llamas breezed through the course and others resisted.
llama costume parade
 After the show, the llamas paraded through the grounds - lots of fun!

This fellow was quite regal: he held his neck straight and his head high and almost strutted as he walked. His coat was exceptionally soft.

I spent so much time admiring the llamas that I missed the draft horse competition and show. As I approached, the announcer said the obstacle course completion was set to begin in 30 minutes, so I sat in the grandstand and watched as the course was set up.

setting up the course for the draft horse show.
After nearly 45 minutes, I grew weary of waiting for the crew to finish the course. No one seemed to be in charge and things were placed only to be moved and adjusted again and again.
measuring and remeasuring the distance between cones. 
These two women measured the cone placement about six times: they would move one cone to the left, measure and then move it back to the right. It was almost comical to watch them because their measurements seemed arbitrary.

I never did find the building that was housing a quilt show. I saw a lot of food vendors, a beer garden, commercial displays, and various vendors.

Comments

  1. It would be frustrating to wait for something that never seemed to get started, but I'm glad you got to see the llamas! I think the fair would be a great way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a SPOTTY llama. He (or she) is quite stunning.

    We waited and waited for the pig races at our fair. The announcer talked for over 20 minutes about NOT buying a pig as a pet. I finally got tired of waiting for the race and just left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are surely getting out and about and so glad for you. I know your goal was the quilt show but the Llamas were so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like they had activities to attract just about everyone. That llama really did look regal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the spotty llama is called an appaloosa--at least that is what the spotted alpaca are called. I have never seen one either (and they are somewhat rare in the alpaca world) but I think they're beautiful and I really want one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like such a fun day! I didn't make it to any of my fall fiber fests this year and I am sad-although truth be told I don't need another thing. I need to just go for the inspiration from now on but you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The llamas are so beautiful! I'm glad you were able to touch one, too. It's fun to be at a fair and no, you rarely get to see all you thought you would!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The llamas are wonderful - the spotted one is GORGEOUS. I bet it was a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our fair was a complete RAIN OUT this year. Others went, but i had no desire to wade through mud and straw to see my favorite barn animals. Love your photos. I get impatient when shows do not begin on time!! That would have driven me nuts Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fair looked like fun, it what a shame you couldn't find the quilt display.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine your disappointment about the quilts but those llamas are amazing. I enjoyed the photos and the information about them.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, sounds somewhere between a fun time (seeing llamas) and a waste of time (I can't stand inefficiency). I'm sorry you didn't find the quilts. However that white llama looks like a stuffed animal come to life! so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can’t imagine a llama as a therapy animal! All of them look like their carrying some beautiful wool. Did you buy any llama yarn? I almost bought a skein of alpaca yarn but decided I needed to use up some of my yarn rather than buying new!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.