Shuttlecocks

Tourists with selfie sticks photographing Shuttlecocks
Kansas City, MO
August 2015
On the grounds of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, MO are several large badminton shuttlecocks, and they were a delight to see on both sides of the museum.


It appears that some giants were once playing badminton, using the museum building as the net, and simply left the shuttlecocks strewn on the expanse of grass.

According to the museum website, these works of art were created by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Brugge in 1994. The sculptures are made out of aluminum, fiberglass-reinforced plastic, and paint. Each shuttlecock is 19 feet 2 9/16 inches high and 15 feet 11 7/8 inches in diameter and weighs approximately 5,500 pounds.


Comments

  1. How cool are those! I loved playing badminton in my younger days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This artist appears to have a whimsical nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow they are huge and heavy but look so light and airy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy you are always teaching me something! That's amazing! The feathering is beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shuttlecocks, that's amazing. You have to admire a sculptor who thinks in terms of baseball bats, clothespins, ice cream cones and--shuttlecocks. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I thought it was an optical illusion at first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE fun public art. The one standing upright is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, they are HUGE. I like fun public art too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE badminton so these really really please me, especially as giant public art displays! How cool is that? We are having a little family party at my parents this weekend, I'm going to have to insist on some badminton if the weather is agreeable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.