Quilt of Valor Sew-in

QOV in progress
February 2016
A Quilt of Valor (QOV) sew-in was held last Friday evening and all-day Saturday. On Friday, six individuals attended and began working on one of the available kits. I selected American Hopscotch and began working on the red and white strip sets. In three hours, I sewed, pressed, sub-cut, and sewed the red and white four patch units - 80 in all.

Saturday was a full day and more sewists (eleven women and one man) attended and started working on their selected kits. I worked on the blue and white strip sets and sub-cut them into 143 five-inch units. One woman volunteered to press for everyone - what a luxury to just sew.

first four rows of American Hopscotch
I started assembling the units about 10 o'clock, and by two o'clock, I had nine rows assembled. By that time, my neck and back were aching, and even though the sew-in was scheduled for two more hours,  I packed everything up and left. This QOV will be easy to assemble at home since all the units are made.


Comments

  1. Very pretty and what fun to gather together to sew. The pressing lady was a true blessing from above. Hope you got all the kinks worked out of the shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the strain. Your choice is beautiful. Reminds me of fair isle knitting crosses. Yeah Nancy!!! Your charity work rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pattern. How nice to be able to get together for a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the more traditional look of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt!! I also like thinking that it will wrap around someone who needs the warmth, love and appreciation for their service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful and I love that blue fabric. This one will be very striking and what a fun process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so nice...and what fun it must of been...doing it together!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sew-in is such a great idea. Nice that one gal volunteered to iron. What a deal! You amaze me that you got so much done in that time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sew-ins, and that quilt is going to be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoy sewing with a group. I'm impressed you lasted as long as you did. I'm finding I need way more breaks than I did when I was younger. Quilt is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I would be the presser too not the sewer:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.