Faroese Shawl #2

Faroese Shawl #2
January 2016
This shawl came off of the needles one late evening last week, and I love it just as much as the first one I made. It measures 17.5 inches at center back and hits me at the elbows.

shoulder shaping
As with any second project, I made some changes in how I knit it. This time I used the Elizabeth Zimmerman M1 increase for the shoulder increases and like the result. It's this shoulder shaping that allows the shawl to hug the shoulder and stay in place.

purl cast-off edge
The pattern states to cast off with knit stitches, but I prefer to cast off garter stitch in purl because it is a looser cast off, the edge lays flat, and it adds a bit of definition to the edge.

Yarn:
    A mega, generic skein of superwash merino wool (800 yards - over 1 pound)
    Finished shawl weighs 14.8 ounces

Needles:
   US size 11 with 60 inch cable

Pattern:
    Utilitarian Faroese Shawl by Melissa Hahn (Ravelry link)


Comments

  1. Very pretty! Do you wear the shawls around the house to keep warm? I could see this being very comfortable without being too warm or restricting movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Just from the picture, I would not have guessed it was knit on size 11 needles; I would have guessed smaller. It sure make knitting go faster than those tiny needles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks nice and warm for a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the eyelets. That purl off binding does look very nice. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! I love that it will sit beautifully on your shoulders! Went to a new hair stylist today. her brother is returning home from Afganistan on Monday and she is so excited. Im sending her quilt of valor info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that a beautiful garment! My friend swears by Elizabeth Zimmerman. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful Nancy, that colorway and shaping is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Looks very warm, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's something particularly feminine about shawls. Yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.