Chair Socks

four, well-dressed chairs
February 2016
About eight years ago, I purchased some "socks" for my kitchen chairs, and I was never happy with them: they wouldn't stay up and even with rubber bands, they slipped down around the "ankles" of the chair legs.

After grumbling about the state of the chair socks, it suddenly dawned on me that I could knit the socks from scrap yarn. (I know, it should have been obvious, but sometimes the obvious escapes me)

I found several patterns on line, but the actually knitting did not occur until last week when I decided to use the scraps from the two Faroese shawls I just finished. The scraps were sufficient for sixteen socks - two chairs from each color.

Yarn:
    100% merino wool scraps from these two projects

Needles:
    Two 16-inch circulars, US size 8

Pattern:
    Protect-Your-Floor-Socks by Red Heart

Notes:
Cast on 24 stitches and knit 1x1 rib for 4 inches then begin decreases.

The pattern is written from the "toe" up, but it was just too fiddly to begin with only four stitches, so I started with the top and knit down. I also shortened the socks because I thought 6 inches of ribbing was excessive - 4 inches was adequate for my chairs.

Now, I plan to knit socks for my desk chair.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, those are so cute. I had to print off the pattern, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in the process of getting rid of all carpet and going to hard floors. This is something that has been on my mind for sometime now but I am not sure my knitting skills are adequate to do these. I really am a better crocheter, I might have to look for a pattern now. You have really kicked me where I needed it! Your socks look so good, and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are a hoot!! I've never heard of chair socks until reading this, but can see immediately how practical they are. And these are probably much more stylish

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll have to let me know how they hold up. We have sticky felt pieces on our chair legs. They're okay, but have to be reapplied every few months.

    The socks are much, MUCH cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well how cute are those! I have never heard of chair socks. Love it, what a cleaver idea! Now I'm curious what other household garments you are going to come up with??!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic...perfect colors too! Let's hope these stay up on the legs; looks like they should!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, maybe I'm dense but why do the chairs need socks? I know it is MUCH colder in Wyoming than Central Virginia .... I'm assuming so they slide more easily without damaging hardwood? Very good use of scraps though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer top down too. Cute chair socks Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brought back a memory...my grandma use to make those!....they weren't as high...yours look like they would stay on better than short ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun and practical. All guests to your home will know you are a knitter right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been seeing these on Pinterest lately. Super cute and so much better than those stick on felt pads for keeping hardwood floors scratch free.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.