Circular Zings - a review

Pink Zing Socks
July 2019
This is the first pair of socks that I've knit with the circular Zing needles and what follows is my impression and review of the product.

Pros
     lightweight - aluminum
     reasonably priced
     flexible cables
     slim needle points
     color-coded needles for easy size recognition

Cons
     lightweight - it took some time to get used to knitting with the needles
     finish is not smooth so stitches tend to grip
     needle color will affect the yarn color that I will use with the Zings
     needle/cable join is more of a crimp than a smooth join

I love metal needles because they are durable and rarely break. Although the Zings are metal, their  aluminum construction is significantly lighter than my other metal needles. It took me a while to adapt to the lightness; however, it did not affect the tension of my knitting. I liked the Zings, but the crimp between the needle and the cable was not a smooth as I like; yet it was smooth enough that my yarn did not snag at the connection.

Overall impression: Even though I like the Zings, I still favor my Knit Picks Options set.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review. I only use DPNs for socks - it's what I learned on and my preference. I did try a circular needle once, but didn't care for it. But, I do like circulars for hats or bowls that I will felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I mostly use wooden DPNs for socks (and yes - I've broken many), but I tend to drop more stitches on metal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the join--that catching instead of smooth sliding is really a detriment to the rhythm of the knitting!
    Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that join area with circular needles too but having said that I always using my options. I've even had them come unscrewed before but they are still the ones I reach for most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great review Nancy. I use my Zings dpn's exclusively for socks. I used to use Knit Picks dpn's, but prefer the smoothness of the Zings. I've tried two at a time on a long circular, and the small circular like yours, but I always come back to my dpn's so I've decided, why mess with what works? :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only used the DPNs and I really like them, although the Hiya Hiya sharps are my go-to for any "fancy" knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This color is soooooo pretty! I enjoy seeing what you've made. One day soon, I'll see if I still remember how to knit! Blessings! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.