Rhinoceritis is a Real Threat

play program and knitting
November 2018
Last week, I attended a play at the University of Wyoming. Rhinoceros was first performed in 1959, yet its message is still as relevant today as it was 59 years ago. The actors did a wonderful job with the script and the staging, and the playwright's message was clearly presented.

It was not an entertaining play, and at times, it was very uncomfortable to watch; however, that was the playwright's intent. According to Wikipedia, The play is often read as a response and criticism to the sudden upsurge of Fascism and Nazism during the events preceding World War II, and explores the themes of conformity, culture, fascism, responsibility, logic, mass movements, mob mentality, philosophy and morality. 

The director's note in the program stated. ". . . it is not the unapologetically evil that must be feared, but rather the indifference that allows them to grow, the refusal of the average person to make a stand and say, 'this is not us.'"

The message of the play has lingered in my mind . . .

I refuse to become a Rhinoceros!


Comments

  1. A critical message for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so needed. Love the Director's note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very timely.......I refuse to be a rhinoceros too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have peaked my interest.
    Sounds like the play is a must to see!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.....sounds amazing. Such scary times we live in. That photo that went viral over the weekend of all the WI prom kids giving the Nazi salute was horrifying. What are they teaching those kids?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last weeks elections helped me see hope against indifference. Interesting play, I had not heard of it Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of that place Nancy. Sounds interesting. I’ll have to look online and see if I can find anything about it. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to have something be relevant through the decades-it is because people don't really change! So did you take your knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting and sadly relevant. I'd not heard of it either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.