A Balancing Act

Community Band performance
October 2018
Last week was a whirlwind of activity: every day I had some event or activity on my calendar.

Monday evening, I attended a performance of the Laramie Civic Chorus and the Community Band. It was very enjoyable. The young man in the percussion section who is shown far left in the photo was like a whirling dervish, dashing from one instrument to the next with his sheet music fluttering along with him.

Tuesday morning found me in a Women's Bible study group. I had several errands that kept me busy in the afternoon.

Wednesday afternoon, I knit with the Needlework group at the senior center. The group has grown from three to twelve in the short time I've been attending. I cast off the Baby Surprise Jacket, and asked some of the ladies to figure out how it would be folded into a sweater. It was fun to watch as they flipped it this way and that.

Mexican Train dominos
November 2018

The Mexican Train domino group meets on Thursday afternoon at the senior center. Interest in this group has grown as well. I'm hoping we will eventually have two full tables. I settled in Thursday evening, to watch a movie on Netflix, but a friend called to see if I wanted to go to a UW Boys Basketball game. She said she would be by to pick me up in fifteen minutes - just enough time to change out of my lounging togs and put on my shoes and a coat. The team didn't play well, but they won.

Friday afternoon, I met with the Book Club at the senior center to discuss The Store by James Patterson. The group is small, but they bring up some good points for discussion.

UW Girls Basketball
November 2018
Friday evening, I joined my friend for another basketball game, but this time with the UW Girls team. They played very well and also put one in the win column.

Saturday, I crashed and spent the day being a homebody: I made a pot of white chili with chicken, did some laundry, and read a book.

My life has settled into a new routine, and I'm gradually adjusting to all the opportunities available in the community. I enjoyed all the activity last week, but I also craved more downtime because the time I had to knit or to sew or to read was minimal. I hope to find a balance between socializing and working on my hobbies.


Comments

  1. I totally understand and hope you find just the right balance, so glad you have more going out opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like a busy week Nancy! But...so nice that you have various opportunities from which to choose. Over time you will figure out what appeals the most and what works for you still giving you your needed time alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a whirlwind of a week! I also feel a little frustrated when I don't have enough down time, quiet time. And it seems like some weeks are just ALL quiet time and that is frustrating too. You're settling in and making friends so that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! You were busy. I need my alone and quiet time, but I truly wish I could find some ladies to do activities with. All of my friends are still working and I don’t know about a senior center nearby that has activities like you describe. I’m so glad you’re settling in so well and your new home and have so many activities to choose from. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received your sweet email. Thanks! I am so thankful that you have energy to keep busy - hope it lasts much longer! All those activities sound inviting. Saturday, my daughter took me to Hallmark & Walmart - first stores I have been to in 11 months! My previous bouts this year have been to the doctor. I did attend my daughter's wedding & granddaughter's graduation, but was too sick to remember those much. Thank the Lord for a dr. who has found meds to help my pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Busy, busy, busy!!! I used to love to play dominoes. My parents would come over every Saturday night to play. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But it is nice to have the option to do either one.....sounds like you made some FUN choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have settled into your new home town very well, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice to have such good activities to keep you busy! You've made great progress in your new community!
    But downtime is wonderful and gives you a good reset-I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were just a social butterfly! I know how you feel, I relish days that I can spend at home and never leave the yard! I really like Mexican Train that would be a great event I would enjoy! You will find a balance:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea for all the activities available. You will settle into the ones you really want to do and balance those with stitching time. Glad to read you've got a thriving social life...very importNt for us seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems like I am constantly adapting and changing to try to find the right balance. I think life is a series of little (or sometimes big) tweaks to our routines. It's important to be flexible, yet intentional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.