Binding Four Quilts

adding binding to Blackbird Village
November 2018
Blackbird Village is machine quilted (thank you, Karla Z. in Red Lodge, Montana), and the binding is sewn on and hand-tacked, too. The quilt is completely finished.

pressing the corner on a Quilt of Valor binding
November 2018
After the binding is sewn on one side with the sewing machine, I usually press it into place. Having the pressing crease makes it easier to keep the binding a consistent width when hand tacking or machine stitching. I also like how the corners are more crisp and defined from being pressed.

Besides binding Blackbird Village, binding and labels were added to three Quilts of Valor (QOV) before Thanksgiving. The quilts were originally intended to be sent to Montana, but because of some miscommunication, these QOV will be awarded in Laramie.

Comments

  1. Ah, the finishing touches! Doing bindings is quilting, too, so you are working past that sewing slump!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Binding is fun!! You have made so many of these quilts of valor, and impacted so many lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun to finally finish your projects...Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that checkerboard fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Binding is what always held me up when I was quilting. I’m not good at it at all. I do love that checkerboard fabric. It reminds me of winter time for some reason. Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Binding is my favorite part. It means you are almost done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that little checkerboard. Perfect for the blackbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that is a win for Laramie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pressing the binding is a clever idea. I’ve never done that but would sure make the corners nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Binding — my least favorite part of quilting. I’ve been binding smaller charity quilts recently. I generally do both sides by machine but the next one I think I'll hand stitch even if it takes more time. No stress trying to get the binding even. On the other hand I don’t really think of having it even,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.