Riding the Rails

narrow gauge train
Durango - Silverton line
Colorado
October 2017
Last Friday,  my sister, my brother-in-law, and I boarded a narrow gauge, steam train for a forty-five mile trip from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO. The scenery was gorgeous.
The Brakeman warned the passengers at the beginning of the trip to be watchful of what was ahead as sometimes the rock walls were close to the train. We discovered that they were indeed close.
The train stopped twice on the way to Silverton to replenish the engine's water supply. 
old water tank 
Near the summit is a deep gorge (this photo does not begin to show the depth) and the track was mere inches away for the edge of the abyss.
Silverton, CO
The 45 mile ride from Durango to Silverton was nearly four hours. Some passengers opted to ride a bus back to Durango, but we purchased round-trip tickets on the train. We ate lunch in Silverton and reboarded the train for the four-hour ride back to Durango. It was a fun and memorable day on the vintage narrow gauge train.
Silverton, Colorado
October 2017

Comments

  1. Oh - my kind of day trip! Glad you enjoyed it. We did a similar train trip in Alaska from Skagway to White Pass. So relaxing. Just sit back and enjoy the stunning scenery. We took a bag lunch on the train that we bought in a nearby deli. It was only about a 5 hour round trip I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did that many years ago and it is indeed a memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born very near here, and went on the original train, when I was a tiny girl. It really is a magical place of such glorious scenery! So glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this would be such a great thing to do! Thanks for sharing it with us, it looks harrowing but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, harrowing but fun as Bridget says. Durango is a neat little town. We stayed there for a night a numbe of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a train trip. That looks very scenic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun! We almost did that train trip awhile back but the timing was off. Maybe someday in the future we can try again. Your photos are stunning. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a train ride. I'd be a bit frightened I think. I love your photos. Glad you got to do this amazing ride and see the country from a unique vantage point

    ReplyDelete
  9. We LOVE train trips, and steam train trips in particular. What a great day you had, and love that scenery.

    ReplyDelete

  10. We were there once, drooling on going, but they do not allow dogs, so our poodle and us did not go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a great trip! I love trains. I would've opted for the round trip as well. The photos are gorgeous. Old timey, nature and a sense of adventure, all captured.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing time! Look how bright and crisp all the photos look! I was there in 1978! We loved our touring of CO!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting these pictures, Nancy. This must be a very amazing train ride. I know Silverton and saw the rain arrive when being there but I missed going up there by train.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hum, that's quite the train trip. I'm not sure how brave I would be with those views! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.