New and Old BSJs

completed Baby Surprise Jacket
January 2016
A collar has been added and buttons attached to the Thrifty Baby Surprise Jacket, so it is officially finished.  I love knitting this pattern and always delight in how the gangly blob magically turns into a cute sweater with only two seams (at the shoulders).

back of Baby Surprise Jacket
Elizabeth Zimmerman was a knitting genius and created many delightful patterns; however, I simply cannot could follow her original, "pithy" patterns. I am not what she would call an intuitive knitter: I need row by row directions. Obviously, I am not alone, as Schoolhouse Press adapted the original Baby Surprise Jacket pattern (BSJ) for all non-intuitive knitters. You can find the pattern here.

Knit just one BSJ, and you will be hooked.

I'm embarrassed to admit that the following BSJ came off the needles in 2014; however, the shoulder seams were not done and buttons not attached. I had hoped to find some yarn that would work for a collar; I didn't. The sweater was stuffed in a bag, unfinished. It was time that was rectified. Here is the BSJ, sans collar.

100% wool Baby Surprise Jacket
front
finished January 2016 - started September 2014
100% wool Baby Surprise Jacket
back
finished January 2016 - started September 2014

Both BSJs are now in the donation box. These are the first finished projects in the Slash the Stash challenge.


Comments

  1. I think you must knit in your sleep:) Love the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never get anything else dome if i knitted as much as you. I guess i am just slow

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever get around to making one of these, I will definitely need the row-by-row instructions. Are you donating locally?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both sweaters are darling, even without the collar. Do you have a particular agency that you donate these to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, Nancy! These are super cute. You do such beautiful work. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing GREAT slashing the stash. Whereas I have finished nothing, but managed to add 200 grams MORE wool into the stash. I think I stink at slashing.

    The newest baby surprise is so HANDSOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, and to think I thought you were the world's greatest knitter and could knit anything from any yarn! I love the look of that little jacket but have never made one. I guess the girls are getting too big for the toddler one -- most pull that out again and see what I can do with it. Love both of those although I am truly a red fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your BSJs; they look so great with stripes. I've only made one, and you're right about the blob. It is amazing how it turns into such a cute sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH THANK YOU for saying EZ's instructions were not intuitive

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such precious sweaters!! Thanks for the link. I am determined to knit one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only knit a couple of these BSJs, but they are a fun knit; I, too, am amazed at how the sweater comes together, and I love it that there are only two seams!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How darn cute. You'll have me picking up knitting needles if you carry on like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very brave going back to unfinished projects! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.