The Sky Opened Up


Saturday afternoon the sky opened up, and it rained, and rained, and rained. The stormed seemed to park on top of Laramie and dumped nearly 3 inches in less than an hour. It was reminiscent of the typhoon rains I experienced in Japan. 

I grabbed my phone to take photos but decided a video was needed to capture the unusual sight. I didn't think of turning my phone to take horizontal video. 


This scene is from my patio: it shows the sidewalk between buildings J and K and then the street to the west.


 Here's the view out of my kitchen window. 

Bunny and Sue patiently wait for me to stop filming the flooded street and play

While it was raining, Bunny (a neighbor) and Sue (a friend from Riverton who was visiting) and I played Five Crowns. Between the heavy rain and the enjoyable card game with friends, the afternoon passed quickly but will be forever memorable. 
a drift of hail from the storm
August 13, 2022

Sunday afternoon, the drift of hail beside my patio hadn't melted much and is still there this morning. 



Comments

  1. Hail drifts!! That was quite a storm, and would be one of those times to be happy you don't have a basement to flood. Yikes! I love that Five Crowns game too. Our little card group was non-existent this week: one recovering from new hip (me), one recovering from new knee, and 2 with Covid after going to lunch with another friend. Guess we're on hiatus for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw on the news about the storms. Glad you came through it alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness that was a lot of water running down the street and first time I have ever seen a hail drift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! We could use rain, but I don't think I want it like that. And hail!! Yikes!! Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good storm! Yowza! Definitely a good day to stay in and play cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow-rain would be an interesting storm but to see hail like that-well, just wow! Glad you were safely in with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness gracious...that was crazy. Just north from us experienced the same thing last week with lots of car rescues. This has been one crazy summer for weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my that was quite a rain/hail storm. Bet that cooled things off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looked quite scary, but the flooding seemed to be moving away from your home, sonder where it all ended up? What a lot of hail stones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG wild heavy rain and heavy hail. Good thing you were having an entertaining afternoon and not trying to run errands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a heck of a lot of hail. I remember one time when we had the motorhome we beat a bad storm coming in and set up camp at a campground near the interstate at Laramie and had just got everything hooked up when the storm started so we were able to just sit back and relax for the rest of the day while it stormed outside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.