Making It Work

carefully matching seams
July 2022

I pulled some dark blue fabric from my stash to make star blocks to complement the light blue blocks I received from JulieK. 

Julie sent 10 light blue blocks, so I made 10 dark blue blocks, but once I had them on the design wall, I realized I needed 21 blocks - 11 per set. Making an additional dark blue block was not a problem, but I had to get creative with the extra fabric squares that Julie sent. 

"franken" quilt block
July 2022
Making the star points from the extra squares was easy as they just need to be cut to 2.5 inches. The center square, however, needed to be 4.5 inches, so I made a four patch with the extra squares and cut it to size. Since the light blue fabric is busy, I don't think this franken block will be that noticeable once the top has been quilted. 

This top has a LOT of seams, so I pressed the connecting seams open to eliminate bulk for the longarmer. I still need to add a border, so I'll show you the finished top soon.  

Comments

  1. Good thing you are an experienced seamstress. I'm sure it will look BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better you than me! LOL - as Dee said, good thing you are experienced. Looking forward to seeing the finished top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clear as mud to me but to you it is what makes it work:) Anxious to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very clever way to make the fabric you have stretch just a bit further. Can't wait to see the final results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wait to see this one all together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see that would take an expert's eye to come together. All those points that need to line up....wow. I'm in the "close enough is good enough" camp as that talent is one I do not possess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all those seams...you are so talented Nancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous!! Wow...lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Franken stitching, sometimes it's what you need to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good job making it all work--I think it will look nearly 'seamless' once it is quilted! Nice work on keeping it neat for the longarmer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evidently I have been ignoring you ….or my darn computer hasn’t been allowing me to comment on lots of blogs. I have also pieced bigger blocks when running low on the fabric. I doubt many will even notice it in the final quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.