Replicating Blocks

using striped fabric to make star blocks
April 2022

Over the weekend, I played with the block design of the orphan stars Karen M, sent me. I don’t save a lot of strings for the pieced, flag stripes, so I pulled two pieces of striped fabric from my stash for the flag. The printed stripes are the approximate size (1 inch) of the pieced stripes. Using the printed fabric made the construction of this block a snap. 

The HSTs are 3.5 inches unfinished. The four cornerstones and the white/navy star unit are 3.5 inch unfinished as is the striped section next to it.The bottom striped section is 3.5 x 6.5 inches unfinished. This results in a 12.5 inches unfinished block. (If I didn’t use the printed stripe fabric, I’d use 1.5 inch strings to create the striped sections.)


It didn’t take long to create the two replica blocks. I plan to make more from my blue and red scraps. 

Thanks for the idea, Karen! 


Comments

  1. Got a feeling it's going to be a beautiful quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing this one when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've nailed it! Very good matching of design and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great! And your drawing looks just like what I do when trying to replicate a block or a quilt layout that I don't have patterns for. Grid paper was an awesome invention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful. I like how the stars are different in each of the cantons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You did a great job with these blocks Nancy. I really like them and the quilt will be a beauty.
    You definitely have a gift. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do this.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and very clever. This will be yet another stellar quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very good at this. You have c1ear1y been a great student of qui1t.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It amazes me that you figured that out. I can't even deal with quarter inch seems when I have to figure stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outstanding. I need to see what I have in red and white stripe. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.