Lincoln Highway & Interstate 80

bronze bust of Abraham Lincoln
sculpted by Robert I. Russin
I-80 Sherman Summit
east of Laramie, WY

The bronze bust of Lincoln is 12 feet tall and weighs 4,500 pounds. It originally stood at the highest point on the original Lincoln Highway (America's first transcontinental highway) but was eventually moved to Sherman Summit, the highest point on Interstate 80. 

Lincoln bust atop a 30 foot granite pedestal
Lincoln Highway markers on display at 
Sherman Summit on Interstate 80
east of Laramie, WY



Comments

  1. Never knew this existed, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took I 80 when we moved from CA to NJ 35 years ago. But I don’t think we picked it up until after Colorado. It’s a beautiful sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting!! I wish we were going to be that far west as we travel I-80 to Denver in a couple of weeks. That would be worth stopping to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of the Lincoln Highway until about two years ago. How, in all of our travels on I-80, have we missed seeing this? We will be keeping our eyes peeled next time.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa....that's one serious looking Lincoln!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Nancy. I just think anything 1inco1n is wonderfu1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you read the book by the same title? (Amor Towles)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Looks great and I didn't realize any of this so tha nks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lincoln Highway and the Jefferson Highway were popular routes back in the day. That is a beautiful statue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.