History in Stone

stonework chimney
circa mid-1880s
September 2021

Last weekend, my nephew took us on a tour of the ranch. 


The first stop was at a newly finished irrigation diversion, and across the reservoir was a small rock building built as a kitchen to feed the Chinese workers (over 1,000) who dug the Blue Grass irrigation tunnel (flume) through solid rock in 1883. The flume is still used today and is over 2,380 feet long. 

The little building above was built from the rubble removed from the tunnel shaft. Other buildings were built along the small railroad line used to haul the rubble. 

water entering the rock tunnel

the small rock cottage can be seen on the left - just the roof and chimney are visible
September 2021

irrigation water leaving the tunnel
and heading down stream

Because this water is for irrigation only, the water is turned off in the Fall and on in the Spring. Dwight told us when the tunnel is opened in the Spring, it takes over twelve hours for the water to appear at the tunnel exit. 

Crazy brave kayakers ride the rapids that the water creates on the downhill side of the tunnel. Dwight said there are sheer drop-offs and waterfalls. One kayaker told Dwight it is 10 seconds of sheer terror and a 20-minute walk back up to the spot where they launch the kayaks to ride again. 




Comments

  1. Fascinating and a beautiful stone building. You would not find me kayaking that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proof that there is always something to learn about in the most serene photos. No way would I be in one of those kayaks!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! I would love that stone chimney in my living room. I've been asking The Mister for one since we moved in-30 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen. Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would enjoy sitting and looking at that view all day! And a fascinating story of the Chinese workers accomplishment! I'm so glad you shared this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely stonework. Interesting to read about the Chinese workers, here in New Zealand there were many who came looking for gold in the South Island many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly don't have the kayak skills for that, but it sure sounds fun!

    I love that little building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoy reading these posts. Get your kayak ready. Let me know when we can go. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is beautiful stone work! WE have a kayak...but I wouldn't take it down any river:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Taking a kayak down a big drop would never have been on any bucket list in my life! Tell your nephew thanks for sharing the stories with you and thus your readers. It was on my third reading that I realized what a tunnel actually meant. Amazing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.