Come Closer . . .

close-up
"Butterfly" by Marie Watt
Denver Art Museum
November 2019
"Butterfly" by Marie Watt was an interesting piece of textile art. I was amazed at the sheer number of jingles that it had attached.
zooming out to include part of the textile section of
"Butterfly" by Marie Watt
"Butterfly" was constructed of reclaimed wool blankets, satin binding, thread, cotton twill tape, and thousands of tin jingles. It was created in 2015.
"Butterfly" by Marie Watt

Isn't this an interesting and unique piece. I can't imagine making all those jingles.

Traditionally, jingles are made from chewing tobacco lids and adorn Native American jingle dresses.

If you want more information on jingles and jingle dresses:

         Jingle Dress Dancing
         Jingle Dress - Wikipedia
        Jingles & Lids (for those who don't want to chew the tobacco)

Comments

  1. Fascinating art work! Clever use of the tobacco lids for the Indian dresses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the dancing at a Pow wow so must have seen these but have no memory of it and these are fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've seen the dresses in person but never knew the traditional way of making the jingles. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! I've seen those jingles but never knew what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen jingles at pow wow's out here but had no idea that they were made from tobacco lids. You're always teaching me something new Nancy. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of jingle dresses before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never ever seen jingles. WOW Nancy, I always say you continue to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought they were jingles! I can't say I like the art work, it is different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nifty display. Nice to see the jingles included on a quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.