Carved in Stone - Mystery Solved

carving detail
First Street parking area
Laramie, WY
October 2018
Last week on FaceBook, the Albany County Historical Society shared the origin of the stone carving I shared in this earlier post.

The stone carving was the from the top of the old post office on the corner of Grand and Ivinson Streets. The photo in the article was not dated, but the building was dismantled in 1956.

(click image to enlarge)
It seems odd that the display in the parking lot on First Street does not have a plaque that identifies the carving, but thanks to the FaceBook article, the mystery has been solved.


Comments

  1. Time to put a suggestion in the box to the Center of Commerce !
    Love the original PO building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful building that was - a pity it was torn down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree they should put a plague to identify it.
    glad you were able to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it's probably time for the city to put some kind of sign near it to identify what it is. It's a beautiful piece of that historic building to preserve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See -- Facebook IS good for something! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a beautiful building indeed. It’s too bad they had to take it down. I agree it needs a plaque to identify where it came from. Thanks for sharing this with us today. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You Figured it out! Great job Nancy , It looked great on that building!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked all over for the definition of "poretty." Ha! I believe it is supposed to read, "pretty" - as in pretty cool. :)
    I would like to see this carving. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somebody was thinking ahead to preserve it. I doubt if that type of work is done much now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.