Interesting Leaverite

found near Teacher's Road
Pavillion, WY
approximately 1985
I found the rock one, cold, winter day when I was walking the ditch bank along the county road (Teacher's Road) north of Pavillion. Its color and shape caught my eye; however, when I looked closer, I found the rock intriguing. My imagination saw a flattened skull and a couple of teeth.

The rock is sizable
flip side of the rock
The rock has some heft to it, as well.

My Mom would probably have called this rock a Leaverite (as in "leave 'er right there"), but I picked it up that cold, winter day and through the years, it moved with me from the farmhouse, to the house in town, and now to my apartment. 

Perhaps, one day I will release the rock back into the wild, but for now, it is an interesting door stop.

Comments

  1. I wish I had thought of that phrase when a mom of young ones! lol
    I have rocks everywhere in my house-I love them even more since they are rare where I live now! I think this is just a perfect specimen! Good eye! (and I saw a skull as soon as I saw the pic and hadn't even started reading yet either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mom's Leaverite phrase. Very clever and appropriate. I saw the skull before reading too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - my mom would love that word - I was forever bringing home rocks... still do! As soon as I saw yours, I thought - that would make a lovely garden rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW COOL!! ! Keep it Nancy . Someone's dog found a Wooly Mammoth tooth dug in their yard . The locals said they are so common, they didnt even want it. Who knew they were in Wisconsin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leaverite - love that! and your rock is great. We have a bunch of rocks everywhere in our house - including a small basket of rocks and fossils in the downstairs bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my Mom and your Mom must have been related. My Mom made up fantastic words too. I saw a skull as soon as I saw the photo...before I read anything. What a neat find.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an amazing rock. I saw a skull immediately, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the same thing. Spooky!? Do you know of any teachers who have gone missing from P-ville?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom used to pick up things like that all the time. We had quite a collection. She found arrowheads, bones and museum quality shark's teeth all the time. She had a gift for spotting the best stuff. We donated a lot of it to the local marine museum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks cool to me. Is it a fossilized dog or steer head?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.