Back in Time - Circle K

Circle K Extension Club
late 1950s or early 1960s
Mom was a member of the Circle K Extension Club for many years. The group met monthly in the members' homes: the photo was taken at our house (my mom is seated with her arms crossed). The group had a program booklet that had a reusable cover - purple with a large, gold circle with a large "K" in the middle that intersected with the circle. The pages (one for each month) were secured with a leather lace, tied with a knot. The program booklet listed the monthly hostesses, the monthly program and presenters; additional pages listed the officers and contact information (phone numbers) for the members.

It was a social group, but they also had various lessons and programs at their meetings, and once a year, they prepared a display booth for the County Extension Day. The booths were judged, and the groups were awarded certificates accordingly. The event was usually held in a school gymnasium, and in addition to the booth displays, classes (crafts, food preservation and safety, recipes, and basic homemaking) were held.

Other than my Mom, I recognize only a few faces in the photo. In the back row: Pauline Stearns (my aunt who just celebrated her 100th birthday on December 8, 2016) is the first woman standing on the left. The lady standing on the far right is Alma Schmidt. Bonnie Wempen is seated on the sofa on the far right.

The extension groups were under the guidance of the County Extension Office which was and still is connected with the University of Wyoming Extension Department. The program is still active, but I don't know if the smaller groups still meet. I haven't heard of the Circle K for a long time.

Note the little girls in their mary jane's and white anklets. The wallpaper stripes were grey, and the flowers were white, pink, and red carnations. The sofa (we called it a davenport) was a deep burgundy.

Was your mother or were you a member of a local extension club?


Comments

  1. My mother-in-law was a member of an extension group. All the kids were in 4H too, but then they were all dairy farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture! We didn't/don't have anything like that around here (at least that I am aware of).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did belong to a similar extension group for a few years early in my marriage. A few guild members still belong to extension groups and talk about them at times. It was a nice multi-generational group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this picture. My mother wasn't part of any groups but did have a circle of friends that met for coffee a few times a week. This photo reminds me of that group of ladies.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. How FUn Nancy to show us this photo. The fact that one is 100 years old is just lovely. My mom belonged to our church but never joined a Guild. In her 50s she volunteered as a lunch lady once a month and the ladies called them selves the Hot Dog ladies. There was no hot lunch at the catholic school, so these ladies went to the church kitchen once a month and sold hot dogs . Im not sure what the money was used for. They probably just broke even. We kids LOVED hot dog day. These women over time left hot dog day to others but the original Hot Dog ladies continued to meet at Christmas and as they had individual birthdays ; they remained a loving group to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful photo and memory Nancy!! My Mom was a member of a women's group--I think it was a sewing circle. I remember having tea at our house and I was dressed very much like the little girls in your photo. My dress was red with a white Peter Pan color and I wore black patent Mary Jane's. I also remember that Mom made cinnamon rolls and that began my passion for that yummy sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice! My mom was never involved in things...she always entertained...but that's all I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother wasn't a member, but the extension club supported the local "girl's" 4-H club of which I was a member. The extension club invited our 4-H club to come to their meeting once a month and one or two girls were selected to give a homemaking presentation of some kind. I recall I demonstrated how to make banana bread. I was 12 at the time and received a lot of encouragement from the ladies to continue on with my project. I did so, and ended up going to the Illinois State fair as a delegate with that same banana bread demonstration. I only share this because these women were wonderful role models and went out of their way to groom young women not only in homemaking but in public speaking. I don't know if there's much of that going on these days. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, sadly I do not believe these are going on. And most sad is the young girls do not recieve any of the teaching from them.

    My grandmother belonged and I remember going with her. They share individual projects they were working on as well as doing group project in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No recollection of any group like this. But my dad was a career Naval officer so Mom would have been involved with the officer's wives group. Funny how I have few memories of what my mom or dad (except his work assignments) did. Must do some thinking on that. Something will come to light eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great old photo! The Ladies around her had a Chatterbug Club they were very active in the community...it the 1940's they made bandage and sent packages to soldiers. They used to have Home Economics Workshops in this area...especially on canning and preserving foods. Today they have Widow's Club and a Senior Citizens Club and Birthday Club. I did go to Birthday Club a few times but they are too gossipy for me:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.