Trimming Slivers

ninety-six HSTs and trimmings
May 2020
Another Quilt of Valor is in the works: this one using the four-patches I posted last week. I'm using a pattern I saw on a Missouri Star Quilt Company video tutorial. The video directions did not use half-square triangles. The tutorial's method created a LOT of "waste" or "bonus" HSTs. I wanted to avoid creating even more scraps, so I decided to make the secondary block with HSTs, making eight at a time.

Using this method easily created the necessary 96 HSTs for the quilt. The final step which I dread when making HSTs is trimming; however, I was happy that eight at a time method created only slivers of trimmings to make them square and accurate.

sneak peek at two blocks
for the new QOV

Comments

  1. What?! 8 at a time?! I putz at one at a time but I use my swivel mat so it helps the positioning. Nice start on a new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've made some quilt squares AND some pillow stuffing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh! I'm looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an intriguing beginning! Looks fun so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is going to be a great quilt - love the colors you are using!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 96 is a BIG number!! The sneak peek is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....that's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I didn't know you had a quilt dread. I hope it goes really well Nancy. They always look amazing when you finish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Nancy. I'm amazed at how much you get done on the quilts so quickly.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.