Sneak Peek - Carpenter's Star

placing HSTs in the correct position
June 2020

Here's a sneak peek at my current sewing/quilting project. The dark fabric looks black in the photo, but it is actually dark navy. Both fabrics were used for backings for previous Quilts of Valor and are the same print, only different colors. At this point the pieces haven't been sewn together. This is the first Carpenter's Star quilt that I've made. 

According to Wendy Russell at Patchwork Square, "The Carpenter's Wheel quilt block has been around for a long time and is also known by a few other names ... Star of Bethlehem and Carpenter's Star. Most of the time, this block is made using squares and diamonds, but I have chosen to make this pattern using half square triangle sets, rather than the diamonds, to bypass distortion of the bias edges from the frequent handling, and also this method avoids the dreaded set in seam. My view is why do it the hard way, when you can choose the easy way?

Now the down side of using the half square triangles is that there are more pieces to sew together. However, the ease of making the block far outweighs the numbers, (in my humble opinion). Also, due to the number of pieces in the block I have labeled it as an intermediate level of difficulty ... for that reason only. The good news is that you can make a big block, so fewer blocks to sew."


 Borders will be added to this center section to increase the size of the quilt. 


Comments

  1. Love the geometrics and depth of this block. Look forward to seeing the finished top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good golly! That is spectacular. Audible has a series of bedtime stories for grown ups and one of them is about quilts. The narrator reads about the origins of the patterns. It's so fascinating that it's been keeping me up instead of putting me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pattern is on my "some day" list. It looks so pretty in red and blue. A friend here who is a beginner just made one is blacks and greys for her daughter. It has so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one is much more modern looking. VERY pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love how this just pops. You can see so many different patterns and designs in it. Lovely Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading about this block but I was really fascinated just looking at it. I don't think my mind could comprehend putting it together. It's gorgeous and complex.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, I love that you know your short cuts. i have to take my short cuts in knitting or I would not last this long. Somethings I just have to avoid...
    Kitchener at all costs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, your precision is breath-taking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the small one I made! I also did it this way-with HST's instead of diamonds. How big are you cutting your HST blocks?
    I saw one using bigger squares for a baby quilt and I have filed away the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how it's coming together. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.