Ready to Work

starting a large twined rug
May 2020
I worked on the twined rug a bit last week and have enough rows at both the top and bottom to hold the warp on the frame.  Hopefully, the weather will cooperate enough this week so I can work on this project on the patio. Twining is messy because of all the strings and lint that comes off of the fabric. It't just easier to do it outside.

Over the years, I've taught several community classes on twining and have made over 30 rugs. Mom, who made rugs for the farm house, taught me how to twine when I was in 4-H. The photo below was used in an earlier post that can be found here.
[Rosa_Eberle.jpg]
Mom working on a twined rug
possible late 50s or early 60s

Comments

  1. Wouldn't she be pleased to know you are doing another rug today! I'm interested to see how this grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She would love knowing that you still enjoy doing the arts that you learned as a child - at her knee. How wonderful to have a photo of your mother doing this. Your family was so smart to take pictures of people doing things rather than just standing like statues like so many did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fantastic skill. It's nice that you've been able to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you have that photo. My grandmother was a master quilter and I've heard stories of her big frame and her quilting bees but there isn't a photo to be found. It's great that you are keeping that skill alive. My grandmother would laugh if she saw what I pass off as a quilt these days. I've never been able to come close to her skill level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have the photo and love that you are doing something your Mom taught you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool.

    I see your Mom had a kitty helper with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is so wonderful that you are keeping this skill alive. It certainly must bring back wonderful memories of your family time while growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you show us the finished rug. I can only imagine the joy that your Mom would have knowing that you are still twining rugs and enjoying a skill that she taught you.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to learn. This looks like fun. I look forward to seeing your project when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful photo to have in your possession! I've never seen a rug like that before. It's very interesting. Is it hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the old photo! What a perfect fresh air project! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.