Specialty Yarn

knit cowl
March 2019
Several years ago when I was knitting Oddball Baby Blankets, one of the other knitters sent me a skein of speciality yarn - 50% Yak down and 50% Cormo. I've been saving the yarn for something special, but recently I decided it was time to use the skein.

I used the Simple yet Effective pattern by Tin Can Knits (Ravelry link). Since I had only 150 yards of yarn, I cast on for the close-fitting cowl. The pattern calls for 200 yards of DK weight yarn, so my cowl is three inches shorter in height.


The cast on edge is shown on the right and flips over naturally, so the photo doesn't show that the cowl is nearly seven inches high. I altered the bind off section (shown at left) because I was running short of yarn. This edge lays flat and does not flip. If I knit the pattern again, I will shorten the first stockinette section on the cast on edge to seven rows instead of the required 12 between the garter ridges.

My finished cowl is 20 inches in circumference and 7 inches high. Even though it is shorter than the one in the pattern, it is the perfect height for my neck.


Comments

  1. Very nice. Yak & Cormo - I bet that feels lovely, warm and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect choice for that special yarn, up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of yak yarn - who knew? I guess it makes sense that any animal with "hair" could provide fiber for yarn. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try that yarn. Your cowl looks positively yummy. Cormo is so soft. I've always said you could knit underwear from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fingers are itching to touch that cowl. :-) Yak and cormo. A wonderful combination. I’m so glad that you had enough to finish it in a way that suits you. It is beautiful. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some Cormo handspun, but have never touched Yak before. My go to soft is Alpaca, mmmm, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Tin Can patterns! Your cowl is lovely! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fun quick little pattern for a special yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooooooooooooooooo....how is that Yak yarn??? Soft??? The cowl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how luscious! It will be a great comforting cowl to wrap your neck in during the last months of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I met the owners of this company at a yarn event in Oregon several years ago. They were so lovely and said 'anytime you're nearby come by to our farm!'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.