Close Quarters

It wasn't funny at the time, but now I can see a glimmer of humor.

Remember the parking lot scene in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes? I definitely wanted to have a Towanda moment last week in the Smiths parking lot.

I had finished my shopping and carefully pushed my cart across the icy parking lot.

As I neared my car, I immediately saw the problem, but it took a while to process the situation. I knew no one would believe me if I didn't take photos.
It's been cold here: high temperatures in the teens, but a puff of wind reduces those temps to single digits quickly, which is why my options were limited. Getting in the car on the driver's side was clearly out of the question. Thankfully, I was able to get in on the passenger side and maneuver my way into the driver's seat. Okay, now I was out of the cold, but the question remained: could I drive out of this parking space.

Yes, I tried, but the angle and the ice made it impossible - at least for me. So I sat and waited for the driver of the pickup who had created this mess to return or for the driver of the car in front of me to open up an alternative exit.

I waited, and waited, and waited for nearly 30 minutes.

Each person who exited the store drew my scrutiny.

Since the pickup was quite a bit higher than my car, I could only see the ceiling of the cab. At one time, I thought I saw the dome light come on, but I didn't see a person in the vehicle, so I thought maybe it was a reflection of the setting sun.

Finally, an elderly lady slowly pushed her cart toward the car in front of me, and after what seemed like an eternity, she backed out of her parking space, allowing me to pull all the way through.

As I cleared the open space in front of me, I checked my rear-veiw mirror and saw a man straighten up behind the wheel of the pickup. He must have entered the pickup when I saw the dome light and was too embarrassed to come over and apologize for creating the situation. I am glad he was inconvenienced a bit, too.

It still makes me wonder how Towanda would have handled the situation.

Comments

  1. Oh that happens all the time in Kansas! People drive trucks that are much to large for what they use them for which is frequently just driving around town. They also don't seem to know how large their trucks are in relation to the parking spot. I'm a little bitter though, my car has been banged up by some of those people. I'm glad you were able to get out of that situation successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, did he luck out! I think a lot of other (lesser) people might have keyed his shiny new truck! Lucky for him it was you!

    But he's got some (extra) nerve making you wait more, and hiding in the truck! Do you think maybe he was drunk, and took a nap!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Fried Green Tomatoes, but not the parking lot scene. I'm sure you handled it much better than Towanda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I LOVE that you posted about this. It's all too common. I have a Mini Cooper and for some reason, people treat it like a toy car.... they always pen me in. I've actually resorted to parking far away and walking. I figure it's a win-win situation. I wish you'd gotten a picture of the driver of the pick-up. Hehehehe. But just imagining it is nearly as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up until very recently, I drove a 3/4 ton Suburban (and yes, we did need it much of the time, and no, we could not afford to have another more "friendly" vehicle), and it was always a challenge to find a parking space that would both fit my vehicle and not totally crowd in the smaller cars around. Sorry the driver was so inconsiderate but how funny that he was totally embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. UNBELIEVEBLE!! It's a wonder he didn't hit you going into the space, that is when I would feel a stong temptation to run my key down the side of a big white truck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an idiot he was!!! Hope you don't "run into" him again". LOL

    Glad you got out with no scrapes or scratches.

    People in Florida just LOVE to take up more than one space so that they won't get dinged doors. If I had an old beater car, I would park them in just for spite. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. It annoys the heck out of me when people do that. I drive a big truck and always park way out and they still get too close for me to open the door. Grrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy you had to wait thirty minutes in the cold? YOu deserve a prize. That stinks!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously? He just sat in his truck? I hope your car was at least running so you weren't freezing! g

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good grief. He's lucky you're a sane, responsible woman. I'm glad the other land came out and you could just pull through, but geeze... maybe I don't miss snow after all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got a good, clear shot of his plate number. Does the County Clerk's Office still release names of plate numbers?
    wyogg

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would of been ranting I think:)...Thats only happened to me once!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...you were really patient to wait that long. I'm glad you got out of that tight spot without a scratch or dent. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Fried Green Tomatoes, and that parking lot scene made me laugh. Sounds like you handled your situation better than Towanda did, plus you ended up with an entertaining blog entry. (The price we bloggers pay for good posts!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pity he popped up. I would have parked close on the other side of him so he had to climb through the passenger side. What a jerk! That has to be done deliberately because nobody could be that dumb. If the weather had been less inclement you may have been tempted to draw big love hearts and kisses all over his windows with lipstick. That takes a bit of washing off you know. It's like evil with love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Back in my younger, hot-headed days I printed up some stickers. Each sticker was 1/4 of a sheet of neon sticky backed stuff. It read: Thanks for parking so close, a*****e. Next time leave me a can opener. I would peal off the back and slap it on the windshield right at the driver's line of vision. I don't do that anymore since I'm older and wiser. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too funny, here I am complaining like anything because no one in this town can park straight, or park with enough room for anyone else.

    I understand the snow is obscuring the lines...but still people have some brains.

    What a dork that guy was.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny! Just as well you had some spare time up your sleeve to sit and wait it out...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Personally I would have had to hold myself back from the Towanda method. You have more anger management skills than I do. What a jerk!
    Rebel Follower

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would have gone into the store and had someone announce it over the loud speaker. Would the idiot with the Truck that is blocking me in move it ..I loved that parking lot scene in FGT..one of my favorite movies..Towanda!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.