Appliqued Stars


Fabrics from the 1930s and 40s are very distinctive. Many of my mother's hand-pieced and appliqued stars use fabrics from flour sacks. She did a lot of baking and collected piles of fabric from the 50# bags of flour.


Mom used the flour sacks for aprons, pillow cases, dresses, etc. I can't imagine wearing some of these wild prints, but fashion was different then.

Since the blocks were very scrappy, I used my own scraps to frame the blocks and for the second quilt border. The backing is plain muslin.

It is machine-quilted by Diane Fike: she used an all-over meander.



This quilt was finished in 2003.

Comments

  1. I love the fabrics from the flour sacks. I like the way you use modern scraps to frame the blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.