Simple Woman's Daybook

Monday, November 17, 2008

Outside My Window. . . the sky is clear, not a cloud in sight. I love to step out on the porch and look up at the early morning stars. I wish I knew why they appear closer in the fall and winter than they do in the spring and summer.

I am still thinking. . . about rearranging the furniture in the front room. Perhaps, that will happen this week.

I am thankful... for my laptop. My posture is better in my wing chair than it is in the straight-back chair at my desk.

In the kitchen... something just made a crashing sound. I cannot find what fell, but I am sure I will discover it and then wonder how that item got where it did. It was probably caused by stampeding dust bunnies. I need to get busy this week and cull the herd.

I am wearing... my nightgown and robe. I am being a bit lazy this morning, but I need to get dressed soon.

I "created"... homemade bath salts during a weekend class at the community college. I was disappointed in the class because the instructor did not have enough materials for everyone. The instructions said to bring three pint jars for the salts. Without warning any of the students, she decided to change the class to bath salts, milk baths, and oatmeal baths. Some of her "ingredients" were questionable (in my opinion, they were not safe or desirable to have in a bath), so I opted out of some items. I spent $20 and ended up with 1 pint of bath salts and a half pint of milk bath. I think I will order some supplies online and pursue the bath salts on my own. At least, that way I will know the quality/safety of the products.

I am going... to cast on a cropped cardigan for myself soon. I don't knit many things for myself, but this is going to be my Christmas present to myself. (This hasn't happened yet, as I got side-tracked knitting mini Christmas stockings for the troops. Now, I am addicted to knitting those tiny things.)

I am reading... Face the Fire by Nora Roberts

I am hoping... that I can take a short walk every day this week. (Well, that didn't happen either, but the scale is telling me that this is no longer a HOPE but a NEED. I've been battling the bulge all of my life: I am tired of it, but I know that I cannot give in to the beast.)

I am hearing... the calming gurgle of the sandhill cranes as they congregate in a harvested corn field near my house. When I step out to get my morning paper, I hear them calling. One day this week, I may walk over to the field and watch them for a bit.

One of my favorite things... baked rice pudding. It was a favorite treat growing up. I make it infrequently, but it is the ultimate comfort food. My sisters love it, too, but they complain that theirs never turns out. In my opinion, they do not stir it faithfully every thirty minutes. That is the secret of spreading the crusted top throughout the rice.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: a) work my shift at the hospital, b) finish my crochet class, c) attend an auxiliary luncheon meeting, c) attend a women's health meeting.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



To really enjoy life, see the world
through the eyes of a child




~If you'd like to particpate in The Simple Woman's Daybook (each Monday), you can visit The Simple Woman's blog here. To get instructions for particpating, click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar.

Comments

  1. too bad about the class you took. I've made bath salts before and it is really quite easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll share any good information you find about making bath salts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nancy, I love reading your daybook. And here is why the stars seem brighter... http://www.earthsky.org/faq/star-seasonal-appearance-brightness

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love reading your daybook, Nancy, peeking just a little closer into your life. I wish we lived closer, for I know you're someone I'd love to spend time with, meeting for lunch and knitting.

    I cracked up at your "stampeding dust bunnies" comment! ;-Þ

    ReplyDelete
  5. i so wish i knew how to knit..i would love, love to knit baby hats..
    happy knitting and all that you do..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.