Getting materials ready to make a rug is messy and time-consuming. About three months ago, I tore some sheets I purchased at a thrift shop into 1 1/2 strips. I contained the strips in an old laundry basket, intending to roll the strips into balls while I watched evening TV. The basket was moved from in front of my chair to the love seat and then to the coffee table and then back to the craft room. I just could not get motivated to roll the strips into balls.
Yesterday, I decided I had procrastinated enough, so I tackled the basketful of strips. I removed all the extra strings from the strips and stacked them into neat piles to make rolling them into balls easier. Taking a stack of strips at a time, I folded and rolled the fabric into balls.
The balls definitely take up less room than the individual fabric strips. After the holidays, I will begin working on another rug. Maybe, some of these colors will be used.