Snow Day Fun

beginning the project
September 2020

Last Tuesday, was snowy, windy, and generally nasty. It was time to work on a project that has been in the back of my mind for months. Truth be told, I purchased the sock blank and some other bare yarn in 2019 to dye with some of new friends. However, Tuesday's activity was a solo adventure. 

triangles filled with color

I used Wilton gel icing colors for the dye and dabbed the color into the areas with small foam brushes. 

cooling after steaming in the microwave

The yarn "burrito" was zapped in the microwave for a total of four minutes: I turned it over once.

drying in the sunshine

The water rinse was completely clear - no bleeding, but I gave it a squirt of dish soap and another rinse to make sure that all was well. I put the dyed sock blank in a mesh bag, ran it through a quick spin cycle, and hung it to dry.
the beginning

I couldn't resist casting on the socks and was pleased with the results. The sock blank was double knit, so it was easier to knit on both socks together. 


Honestly, I have never knit a pair of socks so quickly, but I wanted to see how the colors would work together. I was pleasantly surprised. 


Comments

  1. This is amazing!!! What a great job on the dyeing! And the socks are turning out beautifully! This pair will sure add color to your feet! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! Dad and I used to dye blanks all the time and it is fun. You came up with some gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I've never heard of a sock blank, but I'm totally intrigued by your process. The microwave - who would have guessed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project.

    You made great progress! The socks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks awesome! I've dyed a few sock blanks, but none of them turned out that good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! The socks look great...interesting how they are turning out vs the blank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like so much fun Nancy! I love the colors you picked and the socks are turning out great. I would never think to do this, but it is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool. I’ve never even heard of sick blanks. You used Wilton gel icing for color? Amazing. The socks are looking great so far. Thanks for sharing a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow Nancy that was such a fun experiment . Sock blanks would be a risk for me ! Wheee

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun is that? I love the way the colors are knitting up too. I dyed a skein of sock yarn with kool-aid last year and microwaved it. It make a beautiful pair of socks.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.