Scrap Happy Knitting

sock yarn scraps
November 2019
I've been working with my sock yarn scraps nearly all year: this tub was filled with scrap yarn in January. It's been my goal to knit something useful with the remaining small balls by the end of the year, and I'm making gradual progress. So far, I've knit five of the Sockhead Cowls with a combination of yarn (new yarn for the ribbing and scraps for the body of the cowl). I think this tub of yarn will create two (possibly three) cowls.

Earlier this month, I delivered five cowls to the Public Health Clinic. They were happy to accept them for their clients.

Anyone who crochets or knits is bound to have a basket filled with small balls of scrap yarn. Betsy (Simple Life of a Queen) is using her scraps to make granny squares, afghans, mittens, and hats. Connie (Far Side of Fifty) crochets tiny bird nests for Wildlife Rehab.

What do you plan to make with your scrap yarn?


Comments

  1. Those sockhead cowls are great, aren't they? I've used some of my scraps for heels and toes of socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad to say that my scrap sock yarn is in a big bin in the closet. I keep taking it out and starting something with it and then end up hating it so it gets ripped out and balled up again. One day, maybe, I'll find out what it all wants to be. The pile keeps getting bigger with every pair of socks I make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those warm cowls will be so appreciated this winter by someone who was probably dreading the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to make some Frankensocks with all my scraps, but knitting has been put on hold for awhile since I've developed Trigger Thumb in my right thumb. I've opted for a bit of lifestyle change to try to get the swelling down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great place to take the cowls to. I wouldn't have thought of that. Your tub is almost empty! Mine just seems to multiply. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cowls are impressive! I like to knit baby hats and add to my sock scraps blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I've been thinking of making another scrap sock yarn blanket

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, I plan on leaving the scraps for my kids to worry about. Although I have been using up some of the odd skeins of yarn I have. Knitting doll sweaters works well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea with the cowls! Yes I still do the wildlife nests. I hope to have many to send out next spring...the demand has kinda slowed down ...so I get to work on other stuff. I am saving my sock yarn scraps too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.