Art Oddity

"Wisdom"
created by Enrique Gomez de Molina
UW Art Museum
Laramie, WY
November 2019
A couple of weeks ago, I went to the University of Wyoming Art Museum to see the (re)Evolution art exhibit. I'll admit the pieces were a bit odd, but also intriguing. This piece, created by Enrique Gomez de Molina, was made with bits and pieces from other animals. The whiskers are porcupine quills, the iridescent body was made with beetle wings.

close-up of the beetle wings used on the
body of Wisdom
Yes, each one of those scales is an individual beetle wing - kind of creepy, but also quite pretty.


Comments

  1. That is odd art and think of all those beetles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is weird! So many beetle wings! But, it is pretty and shimmery. I love the porcupine quills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing technique with those materials. Very beautiful. I'm so glad you took a close up photo so we could see those individual wings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine the time that must have taken! And yes, it is both perplexing and pretty. My first response was, "why?", but then I know there are those that question the sanity of cutting up fabric into little pieces and sewing it back together. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely interesting, but sad at the same time. Animals had to give up their lives for the art. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I truly enjoy your blog posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...that really is something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thought when you said beetle wings was, "eeew"! That sure took someone a long time to do.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! That is something! I can't imagine saving all of those wings to make that seal! Pretty amazing he did his dream idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did it say where the beetle wings came from?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing what people can use to make art. I have a picture made with butterfly wings. Hope they were specifically killed for the art. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.