Prayers & Squares

orphan block
May 2019
Nearly a month ago, I joined a woman in my apartment complex for lunch, and as we visited, she told me about a local group (Prayers and Squares) where she volunteers. The group meets weekly to make quilts for those who are going through difficult times - sickness, grief, personal or natural tragedy, etc. Volunteers begin each session with a devotion and prayer and frequently a local minister will stop by and pray with the group.

The ministry is housed in two basement rooms of a local church. Six or seven sewing machines are available as well as a cutting table, pressing station, and a large table for tying. The drawers of the tables are full of fabric squares of all sizes; bins on the shelves contain speciality/themed fabrics, bolts of fabric, spools of thread, orphan blocks and fabric strings. Nearly everything has been donated or was purchased with donated money.

Women, who do not feel comfortable sewing, prepare backings for the tops and then tie the layers together or press/cut fabric for those who are sewing. They say a prayer for the recipient with each knot they tie.

I decided to tackle the bin of orphan blocks. I found several pieced stars and a baggie filled with stars and extra fabric.  I framed the blocks during the work session and took them home to finish the quilt.

Orphan Star Quilt
58 x 74 inches
I enjoyed meeting and working with the other volunteers. Prayers & Squares is now on my calendar, and I will attend as often as I can.


Comments

  1. That sounds like a great group! Love your orphan quilt...right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks great. What a nice group - so glad you found out about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful group. You blended all those orphan squares beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful group for some fellowship and to provide quilts to those in need of comfort. I really like the multi-colored frames around the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a lovely little group with a great cause! The stars are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, another wonderful group to participate in. I like you stars quilt. I've figured out why my comments aren't going through. It has to do with Safari my browser on my Mac laptop and actually all of my devices. Short cut to being able to leave comments is using Chrome as my browser. Not my happy place but at least I can comment again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A church where I went to a knitting group several years ago also had a quiliting group almost identical to the one you describe. We met in the next room over that adjoined. It was so fun to have both groups of ladies crafting and chatting away. They had 5 sewing machines, two sergers and a huge quiliting frame along with closets and bins full of fabric.
    I'm glad you've found another group to join in with. The orphan block quilt turned out beautifully.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love quilted stars and I would have never guessed they were orphans. They look like there were always meant to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have found a very friendly and generous group to make quilts of love with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how neat Nancy!!!!!! i love this post

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful time you must've had there! You hit a home run with this quilt for them! What a caring group of ladies; you will fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet concept! So much good can come out of an organization like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have found a great group! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea and I know they are tickled to have you join the ranks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.