Living Legend #844

Living Legend
Union Pacific steam engine #844
Medicine Bow, WY
May 4, 2019
The second steam locomotive on its way to Ogden, UT for the 150th anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad was engine #844 - the Living Legend. The 844, a Northern class steam locomotive was delivered in 1944 and was used for high-speed passenger service. In 1957, it was used for freight service, and since 1960, it has been used for special service. This engine has never been retired.

On Saturday, #844 was attached to about 9 passenger cars and one observation car. I don't think anyone was riding in the cars on Saturday, but I speculate at some time between now and May 17, 2019 it will haul passengers.

technicians worked on the Living Legend's massive wheels
While stopped in Medicine Bow, the Living Legend received a lot of attention from various railroad workers.
Living Legend maintenance
maintenance on the Living Legend wheels

More train photos tomorrow

Comments

  1. Fascinating that it is still used for special events and not retired. I was just thinking - what famous old TV western from my youth took place in Medicine Bow, WY? Was it The Virginian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the size of that thing! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! The photos of the workers in front of the wheels really gives perspective as to just how big it really is.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing job done by this beauty--I bet that VIP's will be riding on this historic trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.