Foreign Friday

Saying good-bye
Betty Moore and Nancy Stearns
June 1981
I left Japan and the Department of Defense Overseas Schools in June of 1981, returned to Wyoming, had an interview with the Superintendent of Wind River Schools, and was hired to begin teaching at Wind River in the Fall.

Betty Moore (pictured above) taught with the DODDS for many years in the Philippines, in Morocco, in Germany, and in Japan. I'm sure she taught and lived other places, but I can't remember them. Betty was a great friend and helped this rookie cope with living in a foreign country and with dealing with military regulations for civilians..

She retired in the mid-80s, married a high school sweetheart, and moved to the Philippines. She died unexpectedly from a brain aneurysm about a year after her marriage.

Other posts about Betty can be seen here.

Comments

  1. That is so sad, especially for her husband. Such a short time together. :-( But, it sounds like you have some wonderful memories of Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You obviously met so many wonderful friends during your time overseas. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lots of wonderful memories and photos from that time! Sad about Betty though. Have a great Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds like she was a great friend! I remember you blogging about that large rocker:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I love that she married later in her life. You both look like the sweetest people ever in that image. It looks like it was taken in the airport ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that was a bittersweet time. Sad to leave but happy to be coming home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.