Remembering Bert

Remembering Bert
Quilt of Valor #236
April 2023 

This Quilt of Valor is in memory of my good friend, Bert O. Bert taught Physical Education, and we worked together for many years. We served as class sponsors and supervised class trips. Bert gave me a motorcycle ride down Main Street at my 50th birthday party with an entourage following with honking horns. Bert and I were born on the same day but not the same year: we were birthday buddies. 

Bert, his wife Sue, and I have been close friends for forty years. In recent years, I accompanied them on several poker runs where Bert rode his bike, and Sue and I followed in a vehicle. 

Sadly Bert left this earth in 2022 after years of dealing with health issues. Bert and Sue donated this panel and several others for QOVs, so it is fitting that this quilt is named after my friend and birthday buddy. 

Comments

  1. What a great way to remember what sounds like a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A motorcycle panel is a great way to remember Bert. The quilt top is very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute. This top turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job on this panel and what a fabulous story you tell about a dear friend. I'm sure the veteran who receives it will cherish it. Do you put a label on each of your quilts including the name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful quilt and a wonderful way to remember and pay honor to your friend, Bert. My nephew is also a veteran who lost his leg. Several years ago, he was finally able to get an artificial leg. Terry is an avid motorcycle rider. I know he and his fellow biker vets would be honored to have a quilt like that.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful tribute to your friend. A beautiful panel, and you chose a great setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to remember and honor your friend. The quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect! What a lovely quilt and good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great panel and how nice to honor your friend that way. I enjoyed reading about your friendship with Bert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.