A Mystery - Patons Kroy Socks

Recently, I finished a pair of socks for my sister knit with Patons Kroy Socks yarn. I had 36 grams (out of 100 grams) remaining. I just finished another pair of socks knit with Patons Kroy Socks, using the same pattern, same number of stitches, same size, and the same needles. I had 9 grams (out of 100 grams) remaining.

I finished another pair in April and had 28 grams remaining. 

Why the difference? I’m uncertain, but the yarn for the most recent pair (the Grey Marl) does seem to have more “ body or bulk” to it. 

I’ve never run out of yarn when knitting socks for my size 10 feet, but this time, one ball was pretty close. 

Of all the sock yarn I’ve knit, Patons Kroy produces the more substantial product, and it wears extremely well. 

   
Yarn:  Patons Kroy Socks (two balls — 100 grams total)
             Grey Marl  #55045

Needles:  US size 2 — 64 stitches

Remaining Yarn:  9 grams total
             7 grams from one ball
             2 grams from the other ball

I know some of you have had issues with Patons Kroy Socks yarn. Have you noticed if some color ways have more bulk; thus, affecting how much yardage is needed?

Comments

  1. That's exactly why I don't use it anymore. I'm always running out when I get to the toe on one sock and then not on the other. It's such a shame because it does make a good sock and they have some really pretty colorways. You'd think the yarn company would get the hint and fix their yardage. The weight is the problem. It's a heavier yarn so the same weight doesn't go as far. Maybe they just want us to always buy three balls to make up for the shortage but that's a gyp. I also hate to weave in ends on the foot. I want a solid fabric on a sock to stand up to the wear and tear from frequent washings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why I stopped using Kroy. Well, ONE of the reasons. I could never get a pair out of what THEY say is 50 grams. Also, we don't get much color selection here.

    I don't think they wear particularly well, but I factored in the price and thought it really wasn't too bad, but now that the price has gone way up, it's just not a good buy in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look like warm socks. I've never used Kroy. And, have to admit I was shocked to find way too many skeins of sock yarn in a container. Eeek. I should start knitting socks again....

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really thick and warm. That grey is an elegant color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't noticed a difference in bulk amongst Kroy, but it does tend to have a shorter yardage. I can generally only get up to a ladies size 8 out of two balls. Any bigger and I need three, or something for heels and toes.
    I do find it a little thicker than a lot of other sock yarns though - almost a sport-weight but not quite. It does wear like iron though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do know what you mean about the difference of weight with differen dyelots-strange but true! These newest socks are beauties! I'm glad you still had enough yarn each time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those socks look like they are Wyoming warm. I have never used Kroy so can't answer your question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are nice socks. As you know, I've been having the same problem with Kroy and running out of yarn. I've been making the cuffs a bit shorter to keep it to tow skeins of yarn per pair.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I have not used that yarn. Your socks look lovely though and I'm glad you had enough to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking socks, I should get back to knitting! Hope the wildfire smoke is missing you, yesterday was the worst I have seen in MN ever all from our neighbors to the North. I am safely up north with far Guy now for a few days. Connie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.