New to Me Technique - Flying Geese

ten 12.5 inch star blocks
April 2023

The Stacked Stars quilt posted on Monday required ten star blocks, and the pattern introduced me to a “new” technique to make quick and accurate flying geese with minimal waste. I’m sure others are familiar with this method, but it’s the first time I’ve made such accurate and easy flying geese.

I took photos of the process, and I’ll link the instructions at the end of this post. 


It seemed odd to begin with two different sized squares. Once I marked the diagonal lines on the squares, I sewed on the stitch line and cut down the middle. The resulting HSTs were pressed with the seam toward the larger triangle. 


The pressed HSTs were placed on top of each other and marked again on the diagonal and stitched, Note that the seams DO NOT nest on these HSTs. Once sewn, the pieces are cut apart. 


I snipped to the stitch line so the units can be pressed. 


The snipped seam allows the units to swivel, so the seams can be pressed AWAY from the flying geese. 


The snipped seam should look like this once it’s pressed. 

Now, I used a ruler with a 45° angle line. Place the 45° line along the side of the flying geese and allow 1/4” allowance at the top. 

Keep the 45° line and the 1/4” seam allowance steady and cut the units apart. Repeat this process on the other flying geese. Trim the excess fabric as you size the flying geese. 


I was pleased with the accuracy and the minimal waste of this method of making flying geese. I’m glad I didn’t have any “waste or bonus” HSTs remaining.

The direction for this method and a chart for making a variety of sizes can be found here. If the document is no longer available, contact me and I’ll send it to you. 


Comments

  1. I'm confused! LOL But, I'm not a quilter. Glad you found a way to make them with minimal waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used this technique in the past but had forgotten all about it. Thanks for sharing that document with the sizes to cut. I've also used the "Geese x 4" method. But I'll admit that most of time I still just cut squares for those wings and trim off the excess triangles most of the time because I don't have to think much. There is less waste with your method I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat. I'm going to have to try that one - it's new to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day fame introduced this technique years ago, and of course, had several different sized specialty rulers to aid in the process. She did show how to do it like you did without the rulers too. Both ways work great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those blocks! Thanks for the link, too; I need to get back to quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you for this post! I can't line things up to save my life and this is going to really help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to make the flying geese--I saw it a long time ago but had forgotten! Nice work on the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy, it seems lately I've seen a number of different ways to make flying geese. THey all seem to work out beautifully. THank you for taking the time to show with photos how this method works. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting technique. The world of quilting has certainly passed me by but I sure enjoy reading about your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen this particular way of making flying geese. It's similar but different from the one I learned to make four at a time. I've saved the instructions and will give it a try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.