UFO Challenge

auditioning fabric for a UFO
January 2018
While I typically don't have a lot of quilting UFOs (unfinished projects), I do have some that I've intended to make for several years. The project (fabric, pattern, kit, etc.) is frequently shuffled from one pile to another until it's buried under a stack of other intended projects.

Marilyn and I made lists of UFOs and planned projects a couple of weeks ago. I came up with over 12 projects, and Marilyn made a list of 6 projects. I consolidated my list to 6 with two projects per number, so we would both have the same numbers on our lists. Marilyn rolled a die - January's project number is 2.

Number two on my list:
    •  six panel blocks (three houses and three barns)  --  I love the colors and scenes in these blocks and even purchased some coordinating "cheater" fabric. Last week, I framed the panel blocks with a fun polka dot fabric and made three accompanying blocks and framed them, too. I pulled some fabric for borders, etc. I have no real plan for this quilt: it is evolving as I work. The quilt will be a summer throw for the sofa.
    • a row by row of a steam engine  --- Inspired by Sara's (My Sewing Room) row by row project. You may remember that Marilyn, Harold, and I rode the narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton, CO in October. Our trip was in the works when I saw Sara's row by row project, and I called the shop to order the kit. This project will be a perfect reminder of the fun time I had on the train.

Progress is being made on at least one of these UFOs in January.

Do you have a plan to complete some of your UFOs in 2018?


Comments

  1. Yes, I am working on UFO's and also making more. Hahaha! Your finish will be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to organize and DO those unfinished and languishing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good way to get things done.

    I don't have any UFOs right now. I have my scrappy blanket and my Solar socks on the needles and both get some stitches done every day.

    Oh wait .........I have a little cross stitch ornament that is half done. Maybe I could call that my UFO and work on that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thrilled that you were able to get that row by mail from the shop in Iowa. It was a delightful shop with such nice people. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    I've finished 2 small UFOs so far this month and am 1/4 of the way around binding a UFO quilt. I'm determined to either make something with what I have or give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a good plan!

    As you know, I've got five quilts on the go. I try to do a little on at least one of them each day. I'm hoping to finish baby Aliza's quilt this weekend - or at least get it quilted and ready to bind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack! My list would be too long, I admire you for making a UFO list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great plan for finishing things up. I really only have two UFO's. A knitted log cabin blanket that I truly was not enjoying that's been shelved for over a year. It was to use up some scraps of yarn.
    I also have a shawl kit that I purchased from Knit Picks before the holidays. It's more of a summer shawl and I've had winter things to work on. I'm finishing a toddler blanket today at knit group this morning, (hopefully). I always have socks on the needles so I don't consider them UFO's.
    I love how the train quilt will be a memory of your trip last fall. Those are the best projects. ;-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow a dozen quilts. One a month . That's amazing Nancy.
    I have the log cabin blanket that I sure hope to finish this year. Because it is fall colors, I bet I don't touch it much till Fall. Im weird that way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are out of control. But I love it.

    Your fabric stashing and my sock knitting has inspired me. I decided the only quilt I want to try and make is a Christmas quilt so I have been doing preliminary window shopping of on sale Christmas remnants and cotton patterns like my Mom used to when I was a kid. I've also begun the slippery slope of googling How to Quilt Easy. LOL. You crafty people are going to get me in all kinds of trouble! I can't cut anything straight!! I can't sew?!? What am I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, I whittle away at UFOs but evidently I start a lot of projects that don't get finished through the year. I doubt if I'll be any better this year. But I can keep trying. Good luck with finishing a few UFO projects this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.