Bea's Headbands

four finished headbands and a fifth on the needles
January 2018
Twice a month I join a group of ladies who knit/crochet for local charities. Everyone brings their own projects, and we sit and chat while we work.

Over the holidays, I pulled a hank of yarn from my stash and decided to knit some headbands/ear warmers for the group. The younger kids seem to wear them more than hats. The yarn was purchased at the guild's Fiber Fest in 2016.

Yarn: 60% wool and 40% bamboo - bulky weight

Needles: US size 10.5

Pattern: Bea's Headband (Bea was a fun lady who was in the Tuesday night knitting group for several years. She moved to Colorado a couple of years ago.

          Bea's Headband

          Size 10 or 10.5  circular 16" needle
          Worsted weight yarn (knit double- stranded)

          Cast on 72 stitches (double strands)

          K2, P2 for five rows or about an inch

          Knit seven rows (about two inches)

          K2, P2 for five rows or about an inch

          Bind off
          Finished headband should be about 4 inches wide

Notes: because the yarn I used was bulky, I knit with only one strand of yarn; although, the blue/red headband in the photo was knit with two strands. I thought the two strands of bulky yarn made a headband that was almost too thick; although, it might be good for someone who skis.

Comments

  1. I love these! And, it was cold enough on the 1st when I walked that I used a fleece headband plus a hat. I'm going to make some of these - they will be great Christmas gifts next year. thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and so practical. I liked a headband when I still skied, especially when it wasn't very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could knit...sniff, sniff. Haha! Love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nancy. THank you . i love the look and I may have to take a candle flame shawl break to knit a few of these this weekend. Lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid, I always preferred headbands - they worked much better with hair that was in a bun or pony tail all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this grea pattern! Looks like it could be used by men or women. I'm definitely going to make one (or more).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pattern! Thanks a bunch. I think I'll make a couple for the GDs. What a great way to use those leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE those colors. Such a good idea, especially for the teens. They do seem to prefer them over hats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy, this is a brilliant idea! I love it. Maybe I can make a few of these from stash for a few nice girls I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just an amazing project-thanks for sharing. My Mom makes tons of hats and mittens for charity; she would enjoy adding this to her donations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great charity project. Useful and easy.
    A few years ago I knit a bunch of mittens for children on the Pine Ridge Reservation. I really need to do more charity knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea! I love that you do so much charity crafting. I wish I lived closer so I could join in with your group. I haven't found anyone locally to get together with for charity crafting. I'm sure someone is out there, I just haven't found them. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect idea! Quick, easy! Who could ask for more?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the pattern and the pics. Hum, I wonder if any of the kids/grands would wear something like this...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.