Exploring My Community

full-size clay model being shimmed
Eagle Bronze Foundry
Lander, WY
August 2017
Last week, my friend Sue and I toured the Eagle Bronze Foundry in Lander, WY and discovered one of our community's hidden gems. Sculptures from this foundry can be found on seven continents. On our tour, we saw part of a huge sculpture that will be placed in Dubai within the next year.

I took a lot of photos and will be sharing them periodically. I did not take notes, so please forgive me if the terminology I use is not correct.


Our guide explained that the first step is to "shim" the clay sculpture. The lines on the lion's face and body show where cards will be placed to shim the pieces that will eventually become molds.


Coming soon - creating the molds.


Comments

  1. Very cool! Love the lion. Looking forward to hearing/learning more about this Foundry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that is a beautiful piece. And most interesting to learn more about how they are made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful! How neat to find that such amazing pieces are made so close to you. I smiled at the playing cards being used as shims. What a mundane item to use for such a neat piece of artwork.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really interesting. I've always wondered how molds for large items were made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to be an amazing sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting! I can't wait to see what else you have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I would really love to see each phase of the sculpture!
    So neat that you have that in your own area!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a really cool thing to do - I would love a tour like that. And frankly, the fact that they are working on a lion sculpture makes it even better in my opinion ... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.