Friday, June 26, 2015

Foreign Friday

Speech contest
Towada City, Japan
Fall 1979
The local Japanese school hosted an annual English speech contest where the students recited memorized passages in English to a panel of judges. I was invited to judge the first year that I was in Japan. The contest was an opportunity to see the inside of a Japanese school, and I was delighted to accept the offer.

Note the various uniforms the students are wearing, the green chalk board and the posters on the wall. These students attended school six days a week.

5 comments:

  1. I like uniforms in schools and those are very neat. I think that would have been a fun contest to judge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six days a week? Between that and their discipline, no wonder they take giant leaps in becoming excellent students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! Im going to suggest Zach do this. He works hard on Good Spanish Speaking skills with his students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if they still go to school 6 days a week? Great way to encourage their language skills too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hum, did they give you a rubric? Probably not all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...