Friday, February 27, 2015

Foreign Friday

Prayer rugs
Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque
Johor, Malaysia
December 1979
These photos give you some idea how large the prayer area (sorry I don't know the official name) was in the mosque. 

Some people asked me about the significance of the clock on the top of the altar ( see a closer photo in last week's post) but I can't remember. I'm guessing it has something to do with the call to prayer. If I remember correctly, they prayed four times a day. 

Tour guide explains parts of the mosque



7 comments:

  1. Well we have enough clocks at our church! We don't need one on the altar !! Everyone is always looking at their watches during the sermon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a large area! Beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So were so fortunate to visit all these places!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first photo reminds me a bit of the Rotunda at UVA. I wonder what Jefferson would think of that comparison?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are those rolls of rugs? That is a beautiful building. Do all the members go to the mosque 4 times a day? That would be hard to do and keep a job too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your photos. They are such a time capsule.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...