Seeing Red

This morning I pulled rhubarb (the first of the season) and prepared it for the freezer. It seemed to take me forever to cut the stalks. This first pull was a good one with a variety of stalk sizes.
I grew up eating rhubarb, as my mother had almost 10 hills. Those hills produced a bounty that she shared with several neighbors. I smile remembering how she grabbed the butcher knife and a paper grocery bag as she saw the visitors out to their car. No one left empty handed. 


Rhubarb pie is a favorite of Marilyn's husband, and I enjoy making it for him. Marilyn asked me to bring some rhubarb on my last visit, but the hills were just beginning to form. When I see her again in July, I will definitely have some rhubarb for her.
This morning, I bagged 4 cups of rhubarb in each bag, just enough for a pie. 


Rhubarb Pie


4 cups of cut rhubarb
2 beaten eggs
1 tablespoon milk
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cups while sugar
1 tablespoon butter/margarine
2 unbaked pastry shells


Place rhubarb in an unbaked pastry shell. Mix eggs, milk, sugar, and flour in a small bowl. Pour the mixture evenly over the rhubarb (it will seep through the crevices). Dot the top with the butter. Arrange another pastry shell over the top of the rhubarb, and cut holes to allow the pie to vent while baking. Lightly sugar the top shell, if desired.


Bake 40 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.  (Place a cookie sheet or foil under the baking pie because sometimes it will bubble over.)  Enjoy!




Comments

  1. Rhubarb! I'll be right over with my fork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try your pie recipe. I've never made one with egg in it. Sure do love rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My rhubarb plant isn't doing so well. I think it needs more sum. DH put a shed right next to it and boom! not a ray of sun hits it. I suppose I should move it. Will it move ok, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, I have never tasted or even seen rhubarb (except in photos)!
    but Mother did use to pick what she called poke sally, and I don't hear of that now.It was a green of some kind. I have heard rhubarb pies are the best. Live & learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Nancy! Again you conjure memories of my mother. We had a largish Rhubab patch, and she would sent me down to get "just ennuf' for a pie, dear"! I loved that...and I will never forget the smell of that pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. rhubarb, relatives, and Memorial Day! I have some great memories thinking of that. My rhubarb is quite big, and I need to bake something with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband introduced me to rhubarb when we got married (it doesn't grow well where I grew up). I was skeptical that it would taste good, but after one bite, I was hooked. We had rhubarb pie for dessert at our son's wedding rehearsal dinner last month. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.