The Help: a review

No doubt you have heard about The Help by Kathryn Stockett, but if you haven't read it yet, you really must.

I couldn't help but envision Miss Skeeter (one of the narrators) as a grown-up Scott from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Skeeter (Eugenia) and Scout (Jean Louise) have a great deal in common: both grew up in the deep South, both loved their black housekeeper, both discovered prejudice is carefully taught, and both fought to cross the line of what society expects and what is morally right.

I finished reading this book in record time with a desire for more. I sincerely hope that Ms. Stockett writes another book.

Comments

  1. Probably the best book I've ever read. I hope she writes more too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to the audio while on a car trip. I would recommend it, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm almost finished with the book I'm reading now and was wondering what I would read next. I'm putting this one on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to get this book from the library and it was not only checked out but had 37 holds!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.